Well, I've hurt myself again! My poor body. I'm 24 years old, but my body is probably feeling like a 70 year old woman! Tuesday afternoon, I was running errands around town and starting feeling a sharp dull ache in my lower back, but only on the right side just above my bum. It was definitely uncomfortable, but it wasn't "too bad." I went to volleyball that night and that was a bad idea. The pain was getting stronger and stronger and near the end of the game, I was holding back tears and catching myself going off to la-la land while trying to ignore the pain. I decided to call my doctor and see what's going on. Sigh. Turns out I have Sciatica and even more swelling. These are his "doctor words" concerning the injury:
"L5 disc swelling, and right sided L5, S1 facet joint swelling overlaid by L3-L5 right muscle swelling and all this combined with right lumbo-sacral ligament swelling."
This is the exact area of pain, but on the right side!
Sounds fun, eh? He told me to avoid volleyball for 4-5 weeks. Yeah, that brought on the tears. Lots of them. I started a volleyball group on Tuesday nights here and now I can't play! I'm devastated. He also said that I need to refrain from lifting boxes or anything heavy, including groceries. I feel like I'm handicapped now! I am also supposed to ice my back 5 times a day for 15 minutes each time. Icing definitely helps the swelling, but only lasts so long.
I'm really having a hard time with the pain. It is now affecting everything I do during the day. Walking, standing, sitting, sleeping- all painful! What the heck? How is that fair?! I've gotta say that I now have a better understanding of people suffering with chronic body pain. It's not fun!
I have a 78 day recovery period. Sigh. Here we go, Day 2...

Im so sorry you are going through this Carmen. Just take it easy and follow doctors orders. Your hubby and kiddo need you :)
ReplyDelete"All these things shall give thee experience" and now you can be empathetic toward others who suffer, so no pain we endure is wasted, right? We're here to live and learn and love, repent and forgive. My kidney stone attack a year ago was horrible, but it gave me a tender heart for those who suffer pain continually. It is exhausting, for sure. Keep icing as directed and "this too shall pass."
ReplyDelete