Yay! It's that time! I've been wanting to write this post for a few weeks now, but never got around to it! As you all know, I wrote earlier about my Spanish lessons that I take twice a week. Well, even before the Spanish lessons, I was really trying to focus on my goals and my passion. I'd say that singing is one of my passions that I'll never lose. I've thought about how I might feel if I lost my ability to sing. That was a horrible moment of thought! Now, not to cause any confusion, I'll let you know that I am NOT the greatest singer in the world. I have much room for improvement! I had two different voice teachers when I was in high school, but it's time to practice again! When I was younger, I thought I'd be a professional singer. Ha! Not gonna happen. My Senior year in high school, I was awarded the Choir Senior Scholar Award. I even have a plaque, yet that didn't seem like much of an honor to me at my school. Ha ha...I wasn't even that good!
I remember singing way back when I was a wee little girl. I would sing church songs to my mom. She would ask me over and over to sing "I Love To See The Temple." I never thought I could sing that song very well, even as a little girl, but mommy liked it, so I sang it! I grew up listening to my mom's choice of music which mostly consisted of Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves. I can't really describe the emotion that I feel when I sing Patsy's songs. Every note reminds me of my mother and the times we spent together in my younger years. I am so grateful to her for teaching me to love such an amazing musical goddess!
I have an odd story about a time when I was still in grade school, I believe. It was late at night and I was already asleep, but was woken up by my older brother, Greg. He begged me to come into his room "real quick" to help him with something. I was so confused! He had the karaoke machine in his room with the microphones out. This wasn't the typical karaoke machines they have these days. It was just a big stereo with a radio and cassette players and it came with 2 microphones. Anyway, he was singing a Primary song, but needed me to sing the girl's part so we could sing it as a duet. I was shocked! My big tough football player brother who never talked to me wants me to SING A DUET WITH HIM?! I was so happy that he asked me to sing with him! We sang "A Child's Prayer," which was one of my favorite songs to sing! It was so fun singing into the microphone like a star and hearing our voices blend together! Sure was an odd night, but it was worth being woken up in the middle of the night!
Okay, I know this has been a long blabbering post about music, but I have to get to my teacher! She is amazing! Her name is Bridgette Yarwood and lives here in Lethbridge. She is 27 years old and has more musical knowledge than anyone I have ever met! She has 3 bands that she performs with, teaches voice lessons full time, works at a local drugstore, AND has a boutique with her mom downtown! She is a busy girl! I absolutely love her voice. It reminds me of Gwen Stefani. But the thing is, she has so many different abilities with her voice. It's unreal. She can perform with her rock band, The Living Luca, one day and then sing the most beautiful jazz music another day! Have I mentioned that she's talented? I can't believe how much I've learned about my voice in the few weeks we've been working together. She pushes me to be better and I'm loving it! She told me that one of the requirements for her students will be to perform in public at coffee houses and such. I'm terrified for that day, but so excited! I realllly need to get over my fear of singing in public!
Taking voice lessons is honestly one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I feel more alive and more confident after each lesson. My Patriarchal Blessing actually mentions that I was given the gift of the love of music and singing and that I should use that love to bring others to the church. I have NO idea what that means, but I guess I should improve my singing so when I figure it out, I'll be ready to take action! So to sum it up, I love all music and love singing! I have a long way to go, but I'm loving the ride!

SO happy for you!!! You'll have to have someone record your first coffee house performance! I'd love to hear.
ReplyDelete